Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

August 21, 2005

The Finch

Yesterday morning I got together with a group of guys from church. We went to a park by the ocean to talk and pray. [Go here for pics of the actual site.] The sun was rising over the Atlantic, and the lobsterman were heading out among the islands. We were standing near a ledge, about thirty feet above the waves, which seemed on this morning not so much to crash against the rocks but to feel their way among them, for the sea was gentle this day.

After a while, chatting and sipping coffee, we stood in a circle and prayed for one another. I kept my eyes open and watched the boats as I listened to the words of intercession, and then I saw the yellow finch. It leapt from a nearby branch of sumac and poured itself into ecstatic circles of flight, just over our heads. Around and around it raced, now intensely beating its wings and twittering, now folding them back so that its body took the shape of a small torpedo, then suddenly beating and twittering again, but always in a bobbing and wavering circle above our heads.

When we were done praying it flew away.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself :)
Got me looking forward to my youth group camp!

Haven't been visiting for a while as school has started again. Year 2 isn't as easy as I thought (hoped?) it would be, and I have significantly less time to spend with God, but nevertheless I'm starting on a book, The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson.

I can't remember if I've already done so, but I also wanted to thank you for your insights on Ephesians - they helped especially in preparing for bible study :)

regards,
tatatee

2:24 PM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

What a beautiful way to spend a morning. God must have thought so, too.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Good Morning Bob,

It is always amazing how the Lord, does those little things that just catch our attention, a confirmation to us, that He takes joy when we come together to fellowship, to pray, to just enjoy His presence.

I would loved to have been there to observe the gentleness of the waves, the presence of the Lord, the smell of the air, and too have watched the Finch ascend as it where on the fragrance of the praise and prayer being lifted up.

A cup of coffee, fellowship and prayer, those are precious times and blesses our Father.

Be blessed my friend, have a super day and a super week. Though I don't comment all the time, there are not too many days that I don't swing by.

Writing for the King and surfing for the Lord :-)

Paul

6:54 AM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Nice to hear from all of you. Thanks for dropping by!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home