Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

August 10, 2005

The Book Nerd Strikes Again

Man, we're having a real honest to goodness summer in this part of the world, where such is not always the case! What a lovely turn of events! I've heard of the concept of "summer reading," but I honestly don't understand it. Summer reading is light fare, even Potter-ish. A co-worker asked me yesterday if I wanted to borrow her copy of the latest Harry Potter opus, but I'm afraid I haven't yet read the first one (summers just haven't been long enough, I suppose). Nothing in particular against it, mind you. Just haven't gotten round to it. I'm presently reading David McCullough's John Adams, which I suppose is a winter-time, fireside type of book. Yet I'm finding it deeply inspiring. The book has two primary "story lines": on the one hand, Adams' courageous and steadfast dedication to his principles; and on the other, his great love for Abigail, and hers for him. These two story-lines are actually closely related, it seems to me, and McCullough's genius is to show that both are tied to the nature of the man, his character, his heart. Once, during a session of the Continental Congress, at a time when the prospects of the newly-declared republic were at a particularly low ebb, Benjamin Rush turned to Adams and asked if he thought the country could be saved. Adams replied, "Yes, if we fear God and repent of our sins."

2 Comments:

Blogger HeyJules said...

Wouldn't hear that come out of the mouth of a politician these days now would you?

I've never understood "summer reading" either. What does a season have to do with reading? You either love to spend time letting your imagination grow and your mind expand, or you don't. Whether its warm or cool outside is immaterial to a real reader.

Thanks for the book recommendation!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Callmeteem said...

I've never done "summer reading." In fact when the queen and I travel I tend to read less than when I'm working. I actually see reading--which I love--as a spiritual discipline and it tends to diminish when I get out of schedule and routine.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home