Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

July 27, 2005

This & That

I'm still thinking about "fullness." I've spent a lot of blogging-time ruminating about Paul's prayer for the Ephesians, beginning at 3:14, which culminates with a reference to being "filled with all the fullness of God."

I thought I was finished with all this, but God keeps stopping me in my tracks. My daily Bible reading has me in Colossians now, where there is yet more talk of fullness. Colossians 2:10 says, "And you too have been given fullness in Christ."

So I'm going to stay here a while, ruminating on fullness. Essentially it means, in the context of Paul's letters, the full realization of Christ's living presence in the church or in the individual Christian. That, at least, is my working definition for now. So expect more from me on this matter.

***

My son has been praising Andrew Comiskey's Strength in Weakness to the high heavens. I've just begun to dip into it, and so far I like what I see there. So, in the next week or two, when I'm not talking about fullness I'll probably be quoting from this book fairly often. The subtitle, by the way, is "Healing Sexual and Relational Brokenness."

***

You may have noticed that I've rearranged my blogroll. I started this project on a whim, thinking I'd categorize the bloggers with verses of the Bible. I didn't exactly put a whole lot of thought into it, and so I expect to continue tweaking it, but the two bloggers who have commented to me on the matter (Aron of Some Thoughts and Julie of Faith or Fiction) seem to think I've pegged them pretty well.

***

Speaking of Julie, she paid me quite a tribute the other day. Julie is all about "strength in weakness," or so it seems to me. She models real confessional honesty in her blog. Some "confessional" bloggers often seem too incessantly self-referential, but the best of them are reaching for, yes, "strength in weakness." Not their own strength, mind you, but the strength of God. Keep at it, Julie. Your path is upward.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hey Bob,

Think you have me pegged pretty well also.

Blessings to you my friend. It is always good to blog here as I always come away encourged and blessed.

Writing for the King,

Paul

4:07 PM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

You really are too sweet. I'm still laughing about my 2 Corinthian/2 Chronicles mix-up...
Hey, God will use any chance to make you pull out the good book, won't he?
Blessings,
Jules

4:27 PM  
Blogger Matthew Self said...

I'm just thankful you didn't consider me a Galations 5:12 blogger.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Ha!! I think I'll just leave that one well enough alone!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home