Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

June 14, 2005

The First 'R'

My long stint with the Ephesians passage has got me thinking about the enabling aspect of God's grace. I've collected together some Bible verses on this theme, and will be studying it further in the coming days. Last week I began flipping through a book I'd read a few years back, Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storms. This morning I noticed a brief section near the end called "Grace as Power." Ah, a felicitous re-discovery, that.

By the way, if you haven't discovered the writing of Sam Storms, I urge you to have a look at his website, Enjoying God Ministries. Lots and lots of good articles on the drop-down menus.

Meanwhile, in my zeal to get reading after spending a week without a book in-progress, I've now leapt into three at once. I bought Jerry Bridges' Trusting God at our church bookstore on Sunday. Then, this morning, a book I'd ordered last week came in the mail: Edmund P. Clowney's The Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament. This is a book that I first heard about (if my memory doesn't deceive me) over at The Thinklings. From the back cover:

Beginning with Adam and Eve and continuing through to the last of the Prophets, Dr. Clowney takes a fascinating walk through the Old Testament, revealing Christ in places where He is usually overlooked.
Meanwhile, some of you may recall my American History reading plan. The idea is to read through American history (colonial period to the present) by means of a sequential series of biographies. The first in the series was a biography of John Winthrop (1588-1649), founder of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Now I've picked up the thread with an old book about Increase Mather (1639-1732), "the foremost of Puritans."

So there you have it. As you see, the first 'R' is doing fine at my place. The second 'R' is also doing quite well, but as to the third, hmmmm, it seems to have fallen into decay and disuse. Oh well, 2 outa 3 ain't bad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home