Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

June 16, 2005

C'mon, get happy!

Have I ever told you that I'm happy? Oh, not that I've always been that way. For much of my life I've been noted for a somewhat dour disposition. Sometimes difficult to get along with, complaining a lot, fighting my prideful battle with the world. But anyway, it occurs to me now that I'm happy. In marriage I'm linked heart and soul with a woman of extraordinary grace. I have two incredible sons who are men of honor and high spirit. I have a few friends that I know would stand against armies with me. And all of this is gift from God, of course. The thanks and praise and glory all belong to Him, from whom all good things flow. So in the end it is not so much, I suppose, a happiness with the things He gives, but a grateful joy in Him. And not only that, but this joy he gives turns into strength somehow (Neh 8:10). Oh, that's the really cool part. Want strength? Get joy.

Thank you, Abba. You're all I'll ever need.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Amen! What an awesome testimony.

I am the official "wet blanket" of our family, the one who was, as my mother says "born 32 years old and too serious." But I,too, am happy. Thanks for sharing this.

10:01 AM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

Count me in on the whole happy thing, too...but I'd be happier still if a man said he was linked to me heart and soul and described me as "a woman of extraordinary grace." Of course, I'd be SO happy at that point, I'd probably just self-combust - but I'd be willing to take the chance!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home