Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

May 01, 2005

Stott's Procrustean Analogy

A while back I was quoting frequently from John Stott's excellent book, The Cross of Christ. You'll remember I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Well, now I'm reading Stott's The Incomparable Christ. I'll be saying more about this equally fine book in the future, but for now, here's just one remarkable quote:

Procrustes, in Greek mythology, was a brutal robber who compelled his victims to fit the dimensions of his iron bed. If they were too short, he stretched them. If they were too long, he chopped off their feet. The Christian Procrustes exhibits a similar inflexibility, forcing Jesus into his way of thinking and resorting to ruthless measures in order to secure his conformity. From Procrustes and all his disciples, good Lord deliver us!
I second the motion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home