Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

May 21, 2005

A Quiet Place

I'd been wondering when Jared of Mysterium Tremendum would get back to blogging (he'd taken some time off, saying he'd be back someday, who knows when). Well . . . he's back allright, but at a whole new locale called Shizuka Blog. Jared says:

What I want Shizuka Blog to be is a place of meditative calm (prompting rest) that is nevertheless consistently rooted in the Word of God (providing edification). In this Zen garden, the fruit of the Spirit grows. Every post will be specifically designed to encourage or edify, or to provoke meditation on the Word, or to in some other way bless you. This will be a matter of discipline and ministry to me, even as I am trying to minister to you.
I intend to stop by Jared's quiet place frequently. As the Lord has told his people often and in many ways, "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength." (Is. 30:15) As for me, I will seek the Lord, even in the blogosphere. Thanks, Jared, for a quiet oasis.

[BTW, hat-tip to Bill at Out of the Bloo for tipping us off to Jared's new digs.]

5 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

Bob, thanks so much for the shout-out.
Er, I mean whisper-out. ;-)

7:28 AM  
Blogger John said...

In this Zen garden, the fruit of the Spirit grows.

Maybe it's just a wrong choice of words Bob, but I fail to see how Zen = Buddhist meditation, and the fruit of the Holy Spirit can grow together, maybe you can enlighten me?

Apart from that it is a beautiful Blog.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Hi John: I suppose you'd have to ask Jared. I suspect he's thinking of a literal garden, which would be a place for quiet meditation, not of necessity Buddhist. Christians can stand to create for themselves places of quiet loveliness for meditation, even as the Buddhists have done for centuries with such love and skill. That's my 2 cents anyway.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

I'm using the Zen concept there in a mostly aesthetic sense. I am certainly not a Buddhist!

Zen actually means "nothing," and as I'd like to think of Shizuka Blog as an online getaway of sorts for rest and encouragement, it's helpful to me to think of it as a "nothing" place -- no noise, no distractions, no worries, etc.

It also just ties in with the general Japanese motif I'm going with there. A Zen garden is just a relaxing, quiet place of beauty. All of the meditation done there will be Scriptural, rest assured.

Thanks for allowing me to clear that up.

8:58 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks Bob and Jared for the clarification, I appreciate it. Jared, I will add Shizuka Blog to the blogs I read daily!

God Bless You And Yours.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home