Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

May 28, 2005

Just Checking In

A beautiful Spring morning in Maine (after a just about a month of rain, it seems). The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and it's the start of a long weekend. I and my Honey are about to take a walk to the coffee shop down the road, so I'm only stopping by to say I love you, and God is good. Simple as that. I leave you with a poem called "The Thorn" [HT: Aron of Some Thoughts], Martha Snell Nicholson:

I stood a mendicant of God before His royal throne
And begged him for one priceless gift, which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand, but as I would depart
I cried, "“But Lord this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart.
This is a strange, a hurtful gift, which Thou hast given me."
He said, "“My child, I give good gifts and gave My best to thee."
I took it home and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore,
As long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorn without this added grace,
He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil which hides His face.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this one, Bob. It just about made me weep. Things really are different in the Kingdom of God, aren't they?

8:39 PM  
Blogger John said...

This is a lovely poem Bob, thanks for posting it!

GBYAY

4:30 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Bob,

Just blogging by to say howdy and bless you from Georgia.

What an awesome poem, one that speaks volumes to my heart and gives me hope.

Heading back to Texas next week for a couple of weeks for my youngest daughters wedding. I ask your prayers because I will be staying with my former inlaws.

I will be blogging from Texas and also audio blogging as we travel.

Be blessed my friend. Keep on writing and sharing, for you indeed are a pen in the hand of the Lord.

I am glad that the Lord is kniting a people online who will write from the heart.

Till later,

Paul

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home