Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

May 03, 2005

The Christian's Identity Series

I see blogging as a stage in the writing process, as opposed to an end itself. Well, at least sometimes it is that! I've got it in my head, for example, to compose a meditation for all the statements from Scripture which identify the Christian in some way or other. I've written several of them so far, and I'm enjoying the process, but the truth is that they are all nothing more than first drafts. I've got a notion that once I've written all of them--if I ever get that far--I'll go back over them and rewrite them with an eye toward accuracy, consistency of tone, and perhaps establishing a connecting thread to run through them all. I mean, foolhardy dreamer that I am, I'm actually thinking in terms of producing a manuscript that a publisher might be interested in someday.

In the meantime, I'm posting the "first drafts" to the blog because I think people might be blessed by them and, equally important, the feedback of alert and sympathetic readers is always helpful. Here are the links to the four postings in this series so far:

Christian, You Are a Child of God
Christian, You Are a Branch of the True Vine
Christian, You Are a Friend of Jesus
Christian, You Are the Light of the World

As I wrote in a previous post (here), "This writing-program has served as a kind of spiritual discipline for me. These are meditations, not acts of thoroughgoing Biblical scholarship. I don't pretend to have said everything about these passages, of course, or even necessarily the most important things, but I simply wanted to use them to speak a word of encouragement to believers and to myself."

By the way, I'm quite sure that the final order of these things will be significantly different than the order in which I'm writing them. Next up, Christian, You Are the Salt of the Earth.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Bob - I look forward to your continued work on this

11:41 AM  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Sounds like a good plan to me, Bob. I look forward to seeing more of the series, especially if you get to the one that most blows me away --- we are heirs to the Kingdom of God (Lk. 12, Eph. 3; 1 Jn 3:1). Peace.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Oh, I'll getb to it alright, the Lord willin'! Thanks for the encouragement, Milton.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home