Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

April 06, 2005

Speaking of Books

Now that I'm nearly finished with Jonathan Edwards, I've already picked up my next read. It's called A Scandalous Beauty: the Artistry of God and the Way of the Cross, by Thomas Schmidt. I just read the first chapter and liked it a lot. It's called "What Luck." Here's a quote:

Maybe the difference between people is not their luck but their seeing. Maybe that still small voice you are waiting to here is already whispering in the details of your life.

What is it whispering? I can hardly hear it for me, and I certainly can't hear it for you. It whispers so close to your ear that no one else can hear it. You know your pain, or whatever it is that fills your mind in quiet moments. I only know that there are some circumstances in your life, like there are in mine, that you could see as "unfortunate," or your lot in life, or something you are stuck with, or somebody else's fault, or just a bad break . . . or the love of God who is whispering for you to look, look again, look harder, and see something new. Some new opportunity to know God's infinite and infinitely complex and amazingly individual grace. Some new chance to forgive and be forgiven. Some new possibility to learn love, especially for someone who doesn't see the least bit lovable. Something extraordinary God has in mind.
Cool, huh?

3 Comments:

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yep, it sure is.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I just finished that book, and it is FANTASTIC.

In the last or second-to-last chapter Schmidt drops a personal bombshell that puts a lot of the previous material in painful and provocative perspective. It's a great book.

-- Jared, www.thinklings.org/jared

9:48 AM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Jared, in fact I think I first heard about the book from your blog. We seem to have similar reading preferences. Your recommendation only whets my appetite to get into the book. Thanks for stopping by!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home