Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

April 27, 2005

My Digital To-read List

I'm getting accustomed to using Furl.net to bookmark pages. This allows you to create an index of "favorites" online. It's especially useful if you frequently use different computers (I'm likely to use 4 different computers in the course of a week). This way, for example, when I find out about books I think I might want to read, I can locate them in a library catalogue or commercial site and "furl" the page. You name the page as you see fit, assign it to a subject category of your choice, and attribute keywords for future searching purposes.

A few days ago Kim of The Upward Call listed the books in her own "to-read list," or what she calls The Horizontal Pile. The following books are just some in my "digital" pile:

Edmund Clowney's The Unfolding Mystery
Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Meditations on the Cross
Tom Eisenman's The Accountable Man
Richard Peace's Contemplative Bible Reading
Jerry Bridges' The Joy of Fearing God
Stanley Hauerwas' Cross Shattered Christ

And two novels:
Marilynne Robinson's Gilead
Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Spencer said...

I haven't read it. The only Ishiguro I've read is The Remains of the Day, which I thought one of the finest novels of our time. So I'm looking forward to trying another. Thanks for the tip. I shall have to look into adding The Unconsoled to my list.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ya know, the problem with reading great blogs like this one is that I end up hearing about more books, and then adding them to my horizontal pile! Maybe that's why I never get through it. Two titles here immediately jump out at me, the Bonhoeffer book and the Pearce book. Perhaps I will just start adding sticky notes to the bookcase, and plan to buy these books when the horizontal pile is gone.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Kim, you need to learn to love your horizontal pile! May it never dwindle. Just think how forlorn you would be if you finished one book and didn't have another one waiting in the wings. Thank God for his blessing of an abundance of books. May we never reach the bottom of the pile!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the references, Bob. I respect your reading judgement. And it sounds like I'll like the prices of these online editions. Peace.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home