Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

February 16, 2005

Poem

At my wife's work everyone was asking the ladies what they'd received for Valentine's Day. Chocolate? Flowers? A night out? My wife's answer was utterly unique, and everyone seemed to agree that she'd received the best Valentine's Day present of all. What was it? A poem, of course.

Poem for Today

I.

My lover is like a farmer,
and her love is the seed she sows,
and the field in which she sows it is today.
With energy and patience she tends her garden,
With prayer she waits upon the sun and rain,
and with singing, yes with singing,
she brings the harvest in.

II.

I am like one who walks the shore,
and love, that Great Sea, that turbulent showing-forth,
casts at my feet its broken shells,
its ground and polished granite pebbles,
and though these are but dust,
the sifted fringe of an awesome power,
with prayers I glean the glistening shards,
and with my pockets full I come,
I come singing to my lover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home