Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

January 07, 2005

The Ministry of the Present Moment

Somewhere I think I've read the phrase, "ministry of the present moment." And yet I just Googled it and came up with nothing (it's a rarity to drop the Google-bucket into the well of the Internet and come up dry). I am thinking about that phrase this morning, because it seems to describe the way God desires to use me right now. I am not thinking about building a "ministry" in which there are webpages and mailing lists and speaking engagements, etc., but a ministry of the present moment, a ministry of the here and now, wherever I am, living a life of love, moment to moment, so that in the end it is a fragrant offering to the King of Kings.

I want to speak only affirming words, building people up. This is very important to me. It is the foundation of all encouragement, which is a Spiritual gift. There are many who live in bondage to self-condemnation, based on destructive words that were spoken into their lives perhaps long ago. Words that punched them in the gut, left them gasping, and from which they have never fully recovered. I wish to come against these false words with the authority of the Spirit of God, speaking into broken lives the affirming love of Jesus, to whomever God chooses to place in my path. Nothing more than this: to live a life of love (Eph. 5:1-2). This is "ministry" enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home