Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

December 13, 2004

Quotatious about Calling

C. S. Lewis (1):

"The more we get what we now call 'ourselves' out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. The more I resist Him and try to live on my own, the more I become dominated by my own heredity and upbringing and surroundings and natural desires. In fact what I so proudly call 'Myself' becomes merely the meeting place for trains of events which I never started and which I cannot stop."

C. S. Lewis (2):
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumor going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life."

Os Guinness (1):
"The truth of calling provides a profound basis for responsibility. 'In the beginning was the Word' -- and in the beginning was a Word to us. Each of our lives is therefore relational and aural at core. All we are is a hearing and response. We are responsible because we are response-able."

Os Guinness (2):
"Personally summoned by the Creator of the universe, we are given a meaning in what we do that flames over every inch of our lives. Challenged, inspired, rebuked by God's call, we cannot for a moment settle down to the comfortable, the mediocre, the banal, and the boring. The call is always to the higher, the deeper, and the farther."

Soren Kierckegaard (1):
"All the shrewdness of 'man' seeks one thing: to be able to live without responsibility."

Soren Kierckegaard (2):
Faith's significance for society "ought to be to do everything to make every man eternally responsible for every hour he lives, even for the least thing he undertakes, for this is Christianity."

Susan:
"Someone has told me a few days ago, that if something is achievable, then that's a goal. If it's a calling or a dream, then it's not achievable by ourselves. Only God can do it. If God commanded it, and we obey and follow it, then that's faith, but if God didn't say it, and we try to make it happen, then that's testing. A lot of the times the calling can look very weird, like Noah, David... But when He calls, we'll definately know for sure. Usually there's a supernatural experience or prophetic words. Normally there will be a desert experience first after the call, just so that we know that we can't do it by ourselves, and at the end of ourselves, God will make His word happen."

relevantgirl:
"Do I really believe God is big enough to take care of me? Truly? Then, why haven't I stepped out into the unknown, where He beckons me? If I continually walk away from His directives and gentle encouragements, I will soon become deaf to His whispers. And I will quit growing spiritually. That means I can stretch and grow in knowledge, but if that does not result in praxis, a practical walking out of an inner belief, then I will stagnate. I may sound smart, profound even, but if I don't put the belief to the pavement of this world, my walk with Jesus will seldom progress beyond today's spirituality."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home