Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

November 05, 2004

A Night Out

Last night a friend called and offered L and me two free tickets to an Avalon concert. Now, I'm not a great fan of CCM (too "youthy" for my old foagy tastes) but I jumped at the chance to see a show. The last concert I'd seen was the decidedly "un-youthy" Bob Dylan, a couple of years ago, so this was, as they say, very different. Along with Avalon, we saw Mark Schultz and newcomer (I take it) Matthew West.

Anyway, here's what I found out: I'm too old for this. The music is too . . . how shall I say this . . . LOUD! There's too much leaping and shouting and clapping your hands above your head like a crowd of performing seals. These people are apparently on fire for Jesus, and the Gospel message came through loud and clear during the talky parts between the songs, but as for the songs, well, most of the time I couldn't make out the lyrics for the life of me.

Still, Mark Schultz sang Letters from War, a very moving song, and Avalon sang Testify to Love as a finale.

All the colors of the rainbow
All the voices of the wind
Every dream that reaches out
That reaches out to find where love begins
Every word of every story
Every star in every sky
Every corner of creation lives to testify

(Chorus:)
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will give thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love

From the mountains to the valleys
From the rivers to the sea
Every hand that reaches out
Every hand that reaches out to offer peace
Every simple act of mercy
Every step to kingdom come
All the hope in every heart will speak what love has done
done


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home