Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

November 16, 2004

Chatty Post

I don't have anything deeply profound to offer today (what a surprise!), so I thought I'd do one of those "What I'm Listening To" posts that bloggers seem so fond of. The truth is, I'm not really a dedicated music buff, and the only time I'm likely to listen to a CD is if someone happens to give me one. Well, that's happened twice lately. First, a Gospel CD from Joe Pace, called Shake the Foundation. This is high energy Gospel choir music, and I just love it.

Second, my mandolin-playing son brought over the latest from his musical hero Chris Thile, called Deceiver. Very, very different than his work with Nickel Creek, and it's definitely going to take some getting used to, but this is fascinating stuff from a musician who seems determined to break new ground with each record he puts out. He is a marvelous craftsman with a wide-ranging musical imagination that is at once experimental and yet respectful of tradition. Deceiver features more vocals than usual (8 of 10 tracks), and lyrics that reveal the sensibility of a Christian who is (it seems to me) at a point of inner-conflict with regard to his faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home