Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

October 20, 2004

Praying for the Bosox

Well, the war between Athens and Sparta (or, if you prefer, David v. Goliath), has come to a head. I have been mostly careful not to stray into politics or baseball here at Mr. Standfast, but this is special. If you're a baseball fan, you know what I'm talking about. If, like me (and like Phil at Another Man's Meat), you're a Red Sox fan, tonight is a potentially momentous occasion. Don't ask me why it matters. I don't understand it. I've been up till unhealthy hours of the morning watching the never-say-die Knights of the Scarlet Hose. So please forgive me for the following sacrilege (hat-tip SMcCathy.com):

OUR FATHER
WHO ART AT FENWAY
BASEBALL BE THY GAME
THY PENNANT COME
WORLD SERIES WON
ON EARTH AS IT IS IN THE CASK N' FLAGON
GIVE US THIS DAY
OUR DAVID ORTIZ
AND FORGIVE US OUR LOSSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE
LIKE YOUNG BILLY BUCKNER
AND LEAD US NOT INTO DEPRESSION
BUT DELIVER US FROM THE BAMBINO'S CURSE
AMEN. GO SOX GO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home