Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

October 12, 2004

Being Human, Athens vs. Sparta, and a Haiku Moment

This morning I started reading a book called New Way to Be Human, by Charlie Peacock. I think I'm really going to like this book, and will probably be featuring key quotes from its pages in upcoming posts.

***

Then there's the Red Sox. My corner of the universe is just a wee bit excited. I've studiously ignored the upcoming presidential election here at Mr. Standfast, but I cannot ignore Athens vs. Sparta. Go, Sox!

***

And Now for Something Completely Different:


Mr. Standfast happens to love haiku. It's an acquired taste. It's best to read a lot of them at once, withholding judgement, since they have a kind of cumulative impact as they gradually reorder our way of seeing. For a nice introduction to the form, look here, here, or here. The following is my own latest try:

Windy October--
trapped in a disheveled web,
ripped leaves, brown needles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home