Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

September 18, 2004

This and That


Well, I've been in kind of a funk lately. The week at my mother's house was perhaps not as "emotional" as one might have expected. There was a lot of conversation, as I've mentioned, and also a lot of downtime. Even a lot of TV watching (for example, I feel I've come to know Ken Jennings quite well). One stunning development was the sudden death of a nephew (Glenn) of my step-father. He had visited us to pay his respects to the family only hours before his sudden heart attack. I did not know Glenn well, but to many the news of his death (at 49!) was emotionally devastating.

Now, since arriving back, besides worrying about my sister's family in the track of Hurrican Ivan (as it turns out, the worst of that storm passed to their east), a co-worker of Laurie's was found dead in his apartment. John worked very closely with Laurie, so this has been quite a shock. There is also the secondary issue, which only complicates her emotional response, that she has been offered John's position. Whether or not she accepts that offer will be a matter of much prayer.

All this is by way of saying, I don't quite know which end is up these days. I have to admit that these past two weeks have played havoc with my devotional time. But I'm confidant that will change. The upshot of all this shoulder-crying is: I (we) could use some prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home