Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

August 31, 2004

Book Report


For the last couple of days I’ve been in a very unusual condition: I’ve been between books. That’s right. Usually I’m reading two or more books at once, and so there’s almost never a time when I’m not in the middle of at least one of them. But over the weekend, having finished the inspiring Life Together and the excellent historical narrative, Paul Revere’s Ride, I found myself without a book to read. That’s a dreadful condition that requires immediate remedy, so I did what I had to do: I went to my friendly nearby public library.

Well, now I’ve got three books to read!

Having just read two excellent books on the American Revolution, I opted for another in the same vein: Founding Brothers, by Joseph Ellis.

The library doesn’t have much in terms of current Christian writing, but I did find something that looks quite right for me to be reading just now: Authentic Faith, by Gary L. Thomas. You can be sure I’ll be sharing its nuggets of truth with you in the coming weeks.

Finally, I needed a novel. Earlier this year I’d read the Tolkein trilogy, and then the C. S. Lewis space trilogy, both of which were just extraordinary, so I wanted to continue with something along those lines. So: Gene Wolfe’s The Shadow of the Torturer. What an ominous title–but Wolfe is highly regarded and also a Christian (although his books are not marketed as such), so I thought I’d give him a chance.

So there you have it. My current reading. Ah, three books at once. That’s more like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home