Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

July 20, 2004

My Summer, So Far


It's been a cloudy summer here. Day after day, rain, mist, a glimpse of sun, then clouds again, more rain, the occasional downpour, another glimpse of sun, more clouds. What have I seen so far this summer? Well, I saw a live garter snake on a pile of grass clippings, during one of those brief sunny interludes, lifting its head to the light and just bathing in it. A few days later I found a dead snake, maybe the same one, curled up in the road. Its surprised almost comical face, gaping. Also, I saw a boy riding his bike up the street, coming back from the library, reading his book as he rode along. It made me laugh, and remember. Also, this summer I saw the mist slowly engulf the islands out in the harbor, and then the nearer woods. The picnic-ers with their children gradually deserted the park, and then there was silence, but for the calm lapping of the waves. And once this summer I watched the sun go down. No, twice. The first time silver, the second time gold. And I'm still waiting for the blue heron that comes to visit our neighborhood each year. So there you have it. That's my summer, so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home