Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

June 09, 2004

Palette-Praise Update


I think I ought to update you on my new spiritual discipline (although in truth it's about as disciplined as a walk in the park), which I am now calling "Palette-Praise" (as opposed to Praise-Palette). By the way, you can read all about it here. So far the plan is just to look for a single color until I see an example that just strikes me as the one. Apricot took a couple of days, and just as I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to find it, I happened to be walking by a small plot of flowers outside the library where I work. Right here, as a matter of fact:



and lo and behold the pansies there were blue and, yes, something very close to Crayola apricot. Discovering them gave me a rush of pleasure, made me feel like a kid. Thanks, Father.

Okay, so the next color was gold. Hmmm. There's always lots of gold around. Gold thingies on cars, on doors, in advertisements. But two particular examples stood out. First, the gold braid on the bill of the cap of one of the soldiers guarding the coffin of President Reagan. And then, a box of chocolate. Tim's friend Annie from Montreal, who has been staying with us for a few days, presented us with this for letting her sleep on our sofa-bed. It was a very sweet and unexpected gesture, and the wrapper was gold!

So for these two golds I do praise God. I praise him for the meaning behind the color in both instances. The one honoring one of the true heroes of our times, and the other representing a gracious expression of thanks. And I thank you, Father, for these things.

Now: on to orange!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Like the post. Sometimes we don't realize all that God has created. He created colors! Anyhow keep up the good work.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home