Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

June 29, 2004

Just a Thought


Jesus says, Take the lowest seat at the table, and the master may call you forward to take the seat of honor. (Luke 14:10) Jesus, as I've said, erased the salt line. In fact, Jesus erased many lines.

There's a story in Messy Spirituality about a group of soldiers in WW II who wanted to bury their friend, who had been killed in action, in a nearby churchyard. But the sexton at the little church said, Sorry, but we can only bury those of our own faith here. So the soldiers buried their friend outside the fence. It was the best they could do.

The next day, they received their marching orders. They would be moving out within hours. The soldiers returned to the grave to pay their last respects. They went to the place outside the fence where they thought they had buried their friend, but couldn't find the grave. Confused, they went back to the elderly sexton.

He said, All night I couldn't sleep. I knew what God wanted me to do. So I got up, went out to the graveyard, and moved the fence!

****

By the way (which is long for BTW), this is my 200th post. I thought I should mention that. It's really pretty amazing. 200 posts, and over 70,000 words. And now my brother even knows I have a blog, and is calling me "my brother the blogger." Jeeesh! I guess that's me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home