Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

June 15, 2004

Commenting on the Comments, and More


Wow, my last post prompted some interesting responses. After rereading the post itself, I am not surprised that several of the responders felt a little confused. The post is, well, let's just say it's a little enigmatic. I guess what I'm trying to do is get to the bottom of this hermit-crab feeling, and I'm writing out of my own confusion. So the post is, yes, confusing.

"Writing out of my own confusion"--perhaps those words require explanation. I think most of us try to write (or blog) from a position of authority. Nothing pompous about it, just writing about what we know. And in the process we even come to know it a little better. This is normal procedure. Jollyblogger, Rebecca Writes, Challies.com, and Leithart.com are all excellent examples from my own blogroll who do this kind of thing regularly.

Another way to write, a way that's common in private diaries and such, is to write out of our lack of understanding, and to seek understanding through the process of writing. One blogger who does this kind of thing very well is Messy Christian. Another is What a beautiful day!

For some reason, women tend to be more likely to write in this second mode (sorry, Rebecca, I'm only generalizing here). But that's what I was trying to do yesterday. Work it out. Write through the issue. Thus, writing out of my own confusion. Or weakness. Or whatever!

As for the issue itself--the hermit-crab mentality--I do think it's kind of a "battlefield of the mind" thing with me. It's an old familiar response of mine. I think what I should do is write about that some more, but with more clarity. Thanks very much for all the very helpful comments, and they do inform my thought-process on this matter. More later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

It's interesting that you put me in the second category. I've never thought about it. Thanks.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Not that it's how you always write, but I think sometimes you do, and I think it's a very valuable way to write too.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home