Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

May 17, 2004

Prayer Request


Yesterday Laurie and I took the dog for a walk. We passed by the tree with the woodpecker's nest and stopped to listen to the peeping. Clementine is now 13 years old, diabetic, and doesn't sustain long walks like she used to. So we brought her home and decided to put her back in the house and then go on with our walk. We were only going to be in the house for a minute, less than minute, but God had put it into the heart of our friend Judy to call us right then. Judy was in trouble.

I should tell you just a little about her. She is living with an alcoholic boyfriend who is mistreating her badly--mostly emotional abuse of the worst kind. People have given her all the right advice, but something seems to drive her into making bad decisions that only lead to hurt. And Judy has had a life of hurt. She struggles with depression. She goes to church and goes forward for prayer at the end of the service. People lay hands on her and pray and she shakes, cries, and when it's all done she says she feels better. I'm not sure that she ever thinks about sin.

Anyway, last night she just needed to get out of the house, to talk to someone. We met her and walked with her for a while and just let her talk. Laurie hugged her and cried with her while I did the male thing and stood aloof. We took her back to our place and got some food in her and then we prayed for her and finally took her home.

I didn't intend to write about Judy this morning, but there it is. Susan in Australia, if you're reading this, please pray for Judy. I think you would like her and care for her if you knew her. Many have tried to help her, and many have given up in despair. When I prayed with her last night, I prayed that God would open the floodgates of heaven for her. I prayed for major transformation, for God ushering her into a whole new life. And I had a vision of a girl in a hospital bed. She'd been in the bed for a long time, and had almost forgotten how to walk. Now she was taking her first steps, and it was like learning to walk all over again, but there was a friend with her holding on and not letting her fall. And that friend was God.

Please, if you are reading this, and if you are a Jesus person, pray for my friend Judy. Please.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Stark said...

Okay, I'm going to pledge to pray for Judy every day this week. And since you mentioned that you're not sure she ever thinks about sin, I think that's where I will focus my prayer--that God shows her her sinful condition and works genuine repentence within her.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Thanks, Rebecca. That's awesome. And I mean that in both the modern and the the King James sense! [:+0

12:25 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'll definately be praying for her.
It seems to me that there's a spirit in her that's craving for hurt and punishment, that is, the more punishment she gets, the more satisfying it gets. This spirit actually can drive her boyfriend crazy and giving her more punishment while consciously her boyfriend himself wouldn't like to do. The spirit in her and the spirit in him are a pair working together.She's compelled to do things that she understands not to do but she's lost her free will. It's like telling a heavy drugaddict to stop taking drugs.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

She will be in my prayers. God bless.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Thanks, you guys. I knew you'd come through!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm praying John 4 into her life today.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please pray for a relationship to ocntinue and to work out and to reuslt in lvoe happiness etc

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home