Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

April 20, 2004

A few days back I posted a question to Jollyblogger, who's been writing quite a bit about Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life. Well, JB has posted a very thoughtful response. I've just now read it, and will probably re-read it (there are not too many bloggers I would say that about). I will simply summarize the post by saying that JB holds that repentance is a fundamental and essential part of Christian growth. Therefore, to the extent that repentance is a missing ingredient in the PDL formula, that formula is seriously inadequate and misleading.

All this is especially interesting to me because I have volunteered to be a "home host" for a PDL group, starting in two weeks. My church is very "stoked" about all this. I should also say that if the Father has been showing me anything lately, it is the need for an attitude of humility and holy fear as I try to walk out my salvation from day to day, so all that JB says resonates deeply with me.

I am going to have more to say on this as I examine the PDL material more thoroughly. In the mean time, I thank Jollyblogger for taking my question seriously and responding with such deep concern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home