Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

April 08, 2004

A Confession, A Prayer


I had a real Romans 7 kind of day recently. Aaargh! I used to think that Paul couldn't possibly be talking about himself there, at least not about himself as a Christian. Now I know better. Now I know that the life of a Christian is like that, yes, much of the time. Thank God that there is now no condemnation despite our sin, but oh, how I wish I might never have another Romans 7 day again.

***

Proverbs 12:18: "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Father, I confess that I have been reckless in speech. Often I am only serving my flesh, speaking out of anger or frustration or pride, and in that moment I am reckless, heedless, and I don't care that words wound, pierce hearts, hurt souls. I have been a reckless husband, a reckless father, a reckless son. I have been a reckless man.

Lord, I know that You forgive me of these things. I know that I start now from a place of "no condemnation." From this point on, Father, I would that my words be healing, not wounding. Be the Lord of my speech, I pray. Let Your Holy Spirit inhabit my very words, so that by them others might know You; yes, so that my very words might be a foretaste of Your Kingdom. Just as Jesus proclaimed that Kingdom as He healed, let my words heal, and thereby let them be a sign that your Kingdom is among us even now. I pray all this in the mighty name of Jesus, and I thank You, Father, for the Cross. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home