Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

February 28, 2004

Psalm 31:1-5

In you, o Lord, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.

Turn your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.

Since you are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Free me from the trap that is set for me,
for you are my refuge.

Into your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, o Lord, the God of truth.

***

Who am I depending on? Where is my fortress? Where do I hide when the danger comes? If Jesus, who might have saved himself instead of fallen men, trusted instead in the Father's will, why then should I trust in something else?

***

Trust is connected with obedience. If I refuse to walk in the way of obedience, and yet I say I trust the Father, I am a liar, and already caught in the Enemy's trap.

***

Trust is confidence. If I say, "Jesus, you have the words of eternal life," but I cannot say, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit," then in truth I have no refuge at all, and my house is built on the sand of pious words only. Sorry indeed is my state when the storm approaches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home