Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

February 08, 2004

Attitude


I have a lousy attitude. But the really neat thing is, God treats me as if I had a great attitude. He's not waiting for me to straighten up. He's not waiting for me to purify my motives. He's only waiting for me to come to Him. And despite my not entirely pure motives, in His sovereign will He chooses to use me anyway. How cool is that?

I'll give you one example. I don't need to go into detail here, but suffice it to say that--to name just one of my less than altruistic motives--I crave the praise of men. This craving after bread that does not truly satisfy intrudes itself on almost everything I do. It colors my love for God, and it sullies my love for people. It is always there, lurking, lurking and accusing. And yet . . .

He uses me. He accepts my imperfect love for Him, and he uses and anoints my imperfect love for others. He is looking for faith, but He doesn't require that the faith be perfect. He is looking for those who can say, "Lord, I believe . . . help my unbelief." And that's about as pure, as God-delighting, as we broken men and women ever get. Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief. To this God may respond with a gentle touch, with an increment of power, a impartation of divine hope, even a filling with His Spirit. To this even angels respond with celebrating, with carols and loud hosannas. And it becomes possible for us to claim with Paul, despite our weakness, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home