Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

December 03, 2003

At the age of 47 I think I have finally resolved to be deliberate and steadfast in my pursuit of the destiny to which God has called me. Does that sound funny? I have been a Christian for 12 years. I have "sat under" (there's that Christianese again) many Sunday morning sermons in that time, and undoubtedly learned much. But only lately have I really understood that to walk in the Spirit is not simply incidental. Not simply the serendipity of God-appointed encounters when by the grace of God you were able to minister to someone in need. Those moments are wonderful, but I have come to believe that these foretastes are meant to be pursued, engaging as we do all the faculties with which God has gifted us. We should not think we are infringing on the sovereignty of God by deliberating seeking to minister. This is the working out of Paul's advice to the Romans (6:13)--that we should offer our bodies to God as instruments of righteousness.

I have always loved that verse, but only lately have I realized that to do what Paul suggests (to offer ourselves to God) is more than a devotional act, although it is certainly that first of all. It is more than simply saying yes to God. It is engagement with His plans for your life by every means at your disposal.

I'll have more to say on this. And I've not forgotten Colossians. God bless you, stranger, if you have come to this blog by chance. May the Lord truly have His way with your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home