Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

November 01, 2003

Our group went really well on Thursday night. At the end of the evening, everyone seemed very happy to have come. The surprising thing is, God really seems to be using L. and me to minister to people in that setting, and this is something we never thought we could do. But the really exciting thing was just how many people were doing the ministry that night. It seemed that everyone had a gift to bring. It was very heartening to see that even the people who don't usually pray out loud were doing so, and with power.

By the way, I have from time to time mentioned the lovely L. Although an otherwise sensible woman, she has had the misfortune of being my wife for 25 years now. She is one of those "heart of gold" people that everyone intuitively admires. Uncommon gentleness combined with an inward strength that is, when you get to know it, inspiring. A gem!

You can see her by clicking here.

Quote of the day:

Pretending is the grease of non-relationships. Pretending is how you and I get through the day without ever having to know each other. When I walk in the room, you say to me, "How are you?" Well, you don't want to know. And, frankly, I don't want to tell you. So I just say "fine," and you go "fine." And off we go.

The church ought to be the one place where I'm so anxious to get there because I can stop the pretending. When you ask, "Mike, how are you?" I don't go "Praise the Lord," I say, "I'm in bad shape." And you go, "Okay, great. Tell me about it."


From Messy Spirituality, by the late Mike Yaconelli.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home