Mr. Standfast

"Nothing taken for granted; everything received with gratitude; everything passed on with grace." G. K. Chesterton

November 08, 2003

Feeling much better today. Why is that? Feeling a lot more confidence that things will just work out. For N., for C., for T.

Today is the kind of day I truly love. Cold blustery November here in the Northlands. The feel of the air on your face, the sound of the wind like a roller-coaster passing right overhead. The brown leaves racing vertically through the air. Today it seems that one season is being swept aside by another. Winter's still a month away, but today it's giving us a sneak-peak. Lovely!

Thinking about Hebrews 12:26-27. In those verses we find this picture of our times as a time of shaking, and in this shaking the things that are not of God will fall, and the things that remain will be the things of God and His Kingdom. This just intrigues me and gives me confidence. I look at my life, for example, and see that much that was once a ponderous edifice, fallen to dust.

Often I have heard people say something like, "I'm believing that the Lord has won the victory!" And I have wondered why it matters that we should believe that or not. I mean, well, it's a faith statement that seems rather like whistling in the dark or something. But I think I do understand now. God IS working everything together for good for me, because I'm his child, even if at the moment I'm not experiencing that reality. It helps me to remember that God is eternal but I'm not. I experience God's victory in time, even though in eternity it is an accomplished fact.

Now, I still remember clearly what I would have said to all this back in my unbelieving days. Poppycock! Wishful thinking! Nothing but I-think-I-can-ism, but with a dollop of God thrown in as the great engineer in the sky who makes it all possible.

What do I say now? I say, well, I'm sorry if God's victory is not real for you. I'm certain I won't be able to convince you that God is, that you matter to Him, and that He would like to save you from yourself today, tomorrow, and forever. But that's how it is. And I will walk in the victory, little by little, that He has indeed already won, and so can you. Oh taste and see that the Lord is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home